Health Advocacy Assistant at Save the Children Nigeria – Read this application guide carefully, the direct application link is just below this guide.
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Advocacy Assistant
Ref No: 220008SS
Team / Programme: Advocacy, Campaign, Communication and Media (ACCM)
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Contract Length: 1 year
Reports to: Advocacy, Campaign and Policy Manager/survive
- Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; ore because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- To provide support to the project team on Policy analysis, new Programme development, advocacy initiatives, strategy development and pro-poor governance agenda in the delivery of basic social services with focus on improving quality and access to Health Services, Nutrition, Climate Change, Livelihood, Resilience, Food Security, Education and Child Protection.
- S/he will work closely with the National & State team on the implementation of the advocacy, campaign, media, social mobilization (SBCC) and communication strategies.
- S/he will also be expected to contribute to the implementation of wider Save the Children Advocacy, Campaign and Policy Strategies.
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: Advocacy, Campaign and Policy Manager/survive
- Dimensions: None
- Staff directly reporting to this post: None
- Technical responsibility: None
- Budget responsibility: None
Key Areas of Accountability
People Management and Leadership:
- Have regular meetings with appropriate authorities to update on the progress of programmes.
- Involve relevant authorities in the planning and implementation of programmes through consultation and joint visits
- Collaboration with other team members to plan and carry out feedback meetings with authorities and beneficiaries
- Advocate for allocation of appropriate resources for the implementation of activities in the state.
Programme Development and Quality:
- Support actively in the process of developing the organization’s short and long term governance and advocacy agendas as directed, and particularly as it relates to exploring governance-related barriers to the elimination of exclusion and inequity, undertake research and analysis on possible new areas for SC programming.
- Prepare concept papers and other relevant documents, and initiate and describe project ideas and initiatives in accordance with the country strategy, the current contextual environment, the institutional capabilities of potential partners, resource availability and funding sources.
- When working on specific high-priority initiatives, the advocacy officer will collaborate with senior staff and support the analysis process, developing policy positions and programme strategies, establishing new networks and partnerships, and managing coalitions
- Assist colleagues to strengthen their knowledge and skills/capacities to incorporate governance frameworks, policy research, analysis and advocacy into their work.
- Contribute to development of advocacy strategies proposal writing and fund raising.
Communication and Representation:
- Act as SC’s representative at local, national and international levels with local authorities, partners etc, as required, mainly in events relating to basic services (health/nutrition, FSL and education) programme.
- Represent SC Nigeria CO and communicate SC Nigeria CO’s public policy and advocacy positions as and when appropriate to institutions, government, international, national and local organisations as required.
- Support the coordination of the drafting and submission of strategic, planning and reporting documents, including but not limited to strategy documents, the operational plan and annual reports, and ad hoc requests for updates and reports from SC CO and Regional office.
- Develop and maintain a professional network for governance issues within Nigeria and within SC globally.
- Dissemination of important information and messages.
- Support consultants involved in writing project designs, case studies or reports, facilitating training events and conducting policy research, or other such contracted services.
- Support the implementation of the governance programme including quality control, negotiation with local partners, financial management, documentation, monitoring and evaluation, reporting etc.
- Other ad hoc tasks as requested by line manager.
Qualifications and Experience
- Level of Education – Bachelor’s Degree in related discipline or relevant qualification.
- Commitment to SCI’s mission values and approach.
- Interest in development issues.
- Strong computer skills required, especially the ability to work comfortably in the MS office package.
- Ability to work in partnership with government and development partners
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to assess priorities and handle multiple tasks simultaneously to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work well with people at all levels.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation required, with a commitment to teamwork and effectiveness within a dynamic integrated project.
- Ability and willingness to travel to project pilot LGAs and other states.
- Fluency in English.
- Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s commitment to protecting children in accordance with the Child Safeguarding Policy.
Administrative & General Skills:
- The post holder will possess a high degree of analytical skill, political acumen, ability to facilitate change, ability to influence, and ability to communicate key nutrition advocacy messages effectively and convincingly to a diverse audience at local and state levels.
- Experience in advocacy techniques and influencing tactics.
- Prior work experience in advocacy in Nigeria.
- Knowledge of the policies, functions, structures and decision-making processes of key national institutions with regard to child Health and Nutrition.
Competences and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- (Select just the 4/5 key competencies essential to succeed in the job l and delete the others)
- Leading and inspiring others – Delivering results – Developing self and others – Problem solving and decision making – Innovating and adapting – Applying technical and professional expertise – Working effectively with others – Communicating with impact – Networking.
- Adhere to SCI Values: Accountability; Ambition; Collaboration; Creativity; Integrity.
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk with.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Application Closing Date
10th December, 2022.
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
More Jobs To Apply For Visit Here